TEST MAKE UP and TEST CORRECTION POLICIES
The mission of HCSS is to provide a college preparatory focused education to youth of every race and ethnic group in Chicopee, Ludlow, Springfield, and West Springfield in a safe, academically challenging, and caring educational environment.
As part of our mission and vision, we create opportunities to help students to reach their maximum potential. Quarter Final assessments and Benchmark tests are two of the tools we use to prepare students for rigorous state and college tests. These HCSS tests create opportunities for growth. Students learn from their mistakes; the opportunity to make corrections on their quarterfinals and benchmarks teaches them the benefits of proofreading, editing, and revising. They correct errors, gain valuable knowledge and experience for future tasks, improve their grades. The goal of the test correction sessions is to help students identify their weaknesses and to provide them with the proper structure and support for mastery.
Wellness Workshop '14
On Wednesday, November 26th the HCSS students will be attending HCSS’s Second Annual Wellness Workshop. The workshops will be delivered in two different sessions. The first session will be presented solely to Middle school students during the 1st and 2nd periods while the second session will be presented solely to High School students during the 3rd and 4th periods.
For each workshop, the students will be separated into groups based on gender, the Middle School students will cover topics around personal hygiene and self-esteem. The High School students will cover topics around sexual health (STDs, abstinence, and birth control) personal hygiene, and healthy relationships.
Veterans Appreciation Luncheon
Thank you to the Servicemen and Women at Westover, the Veterans from the Chicopee Veteran's Association and the Soldier's Home, and the students' family members who were able to come to our Appreciation Luncheon on Thursday; it is always great to have you! A special thanks to the Honor guard- Sgt Addy and Tech Sgt Marrero, Col Kenneth Lute (439th Mission Support Group commander), and MSgt Andrew Biscoe (superintendent, 439th Airlift Wing Public Affairs Office) for your service and for helping us to put together a brilliant Veterans Luncheon!
Late Pick-Up Policy Announcement
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Our after-school programs, athletics, and Saturday School programs are usually provided at no cost to our students. This is in hope that they may become more successful, not just in the classroom, but to better prepare them after they leave HCSS. Understanding that teachers/staff time is important, students should be picked up in a timely fashion from these programs. We have recently noticed more students being picked up late from school in regards to these programs.
- Regular school dismissal on Monday-Thursday is 4:00 pm for all students: dismissal on Friday is 3:19 pm for all students.
- After-school/ Detention dismissal is at 4:45 pm Tuesday and Thursday. There are no activities held after-school on Monday; Wednesday and Friday are at teacher discretion.
- Saturday Detention dismissal is at 12 noon.
- Saturday School dismissal is 1 pm.
- Athletic Dismissals are per Athletic Director and/or the individual coach’s discretion.
- Students should be picked up promptly from school. Parents and those picking up students from school are asked to be very sensitive to the extra burden placed on the school when students need to be supervised after the pick-up time.
Thank you for your support and understanding,
Joe Borelli, M.Ed // Dean of Students
Hampden Charter School of Science
20 Johnson Rd. Chicopee, MA 01022
(413)593-9090 EXT. 211
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
Hampden Charter School of Science adheres to closing judgments made by the HCSS administration. We are not following Springfield, West Springfield, Chicopee or Ludlow.
1) We use a snow day phone announcement system to inform the school community about school closings (around 6 a.m.). If you do not answer the call, the announcement system will leave you a message. Please be sure to let us know if your phone number changes so we can keep our list as up to date as possible.