Wellness Workshop '14
On Wednesday, November 26th the HCSS students will be attending HCSS’s Second Annual Wellness Workshop. The workshops will be delivered in two different sessions. The first session will be presented solely to Middle school students during the 1st and 2nd periods while the second session will be presented solely to High School students during the 3rd and 4th periods.
For each workshop, the students will be separated into groups based on gender, the Middle School students will cover topics around personal hygiene and self-esteem. The High School students will cover topics around sexual health (STDs, abstinence, and birth control) personal hygiene, and healthy relationships.
Veterans Appreciation Luncheon
Thank you to the Servicemen and Women at Westover, the Veterans from the Chicopee Veteran's Association and the Soldier's Home, and the students' family members who were able to come to our Appreciation Luncheon on Thursday; it is always great to have you! A special thanks to the Honor guard- Sgt Addy and Tech Sgt Marrero, Col Kenneth Lute (439th Mission Support Group commander), and MSgt Andrew Biscoe (superintendent, 439th Airlift Wing Public Affairs Office) for your service and for helping us to put together a brilliant Veterans Luncheon!
Late Pick-Up Policy Announcement
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Our after-school programs, athletics, and Saturday School programs are usually provided at no cost to our students. This is in hope that they may become more successful, not just in the classroom, but to better prepare them after they leave HCSS. Understanding that teachers/staff time is important, students should be picked up in a timely fashion from these programs. We have recently noticed more students being picked up late from school in regards to these programs.
- Regular school dismissal on Monday-Thursday is 4:00 pm for all students: dismissal on Friday is 3:19 pm for all students.
- After-school/ Detention dismissal is at 4:45 pm Tuesday and Thursday. There are no activities held after-school on Monday; Wednesday and Friday are at teacher discretion.
- Saturday Detention dismissal is at 12 noon.
- Saturday School dismissal is 1 pm.
- Athletic Dismissals are per Athletic Director and/or the individual coach’s discretion.
- Students should be picked up promptly from school. Parents and those picking up students from school are asked to be very sensitive to the extra burden placed on the school when students need to be supervised after the pick-up time.
Thank you for your support and understanding,
Joe Borelli, M.Ed // Dean of Students
Hampden Charter School of Science
20 Johnson Rd. Chicopee, MA 01022
(413)593-9090 EXT. 211
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
Hampden Charter School of Science adheres to closing judgments made by the HCSS administration. We are not following Springfield, West Springfield, Chicopee or Ludlow.
1) We use a snow day phone announcement system to inform the school community about school closings (around 6 a.m.). If you do not answer the call, the announcement system will leave you a message. Please be sure to let us know if your phone number changes so we can keep our list as up to date as possible.
Our toll free number is in place. School officials can also be reached at our toll free number 1-844-509-9090.
HCSS also provides a Kiosk information system at school for parents who have no internet access at home. Parents are more than welcome to stop by at school to check their child(ren)’s data.
SAT Saturday Program
The mission of the HCSS is to provide a college preparatory-focused education to the youth of every race and ethnic group in Chicopee, Ludlow, Springfield, and West Springfield in a safe, academically challenging, and caring educational environment. As a part of our mission and vision, HCSS creates opportunities to help students get acceptance from four-year colleges or universities. I am very happy to announce that HCSS has reached its goal of %100 of four-year college acceptance in our first 2 graduating years. All senior students were offered an admission from a four-year college or university. In order for us to maintain our success, your cooperation is extremely important.
HCSS in The News!
The Hampden Charter school of Science posted high marks on the MCAS 2013-2014 tests, ranking them at the top statewide. The Massachusetts Department of Education posted the results in September, which showed the school scored high in both math and ELA.